changing intrd

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 01:38:48 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:

>> You don't need /dev/initrd - you need
>> /boot/initrd-your-kernel-version.img as mentioned in grub.  man
>> mkinitrd will show the command to build a new one and the only special
>> trick is that you need to put the necessary but missing 'alias'
>> entries in /etc/modprobe.conf first so it will include your driver
>> modules in the new image.
>>
>    Well Les, I have no idea what Internet thing I have, no idea what the
> sound card is called. So I deleted the ones from this computer. But when
> mkintrd ran it said can't make it because it exists. So I deleted the 2
> in /boot. Then ran it and said "no modules available for this kernel".

The only thing that matters at this point is the driver for the disk
containing your root partition.  You can fix the other stuff after you
are able to boot normally.  The 'no modules' error means you didn't type
your kernel version number number exactly right.  It has to match what's
on the system.

>    So guess I'm dead. we need a real F7 HowTo for this. It is now a
> catch 22 thing.

If you booted the install CD in rescue mode, the hardware would have
been detected and the right module loaded.  You can probably figure out
the disk driver you need from what 'lsmod' says in rescue mode.

The reason you don't see a HowTo for this is that it is easier to
re-install because the installer checks the hardware and sets all the
right things up automatically.   Its only worth doing it this way if you
have configured a lot of applications that will be difficult to repeat.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com