ATI video comes out of the closet

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 03:02:24 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

>>> So far the nVidia video card on my motherboard has been the one
>>> biggest head acke in this computer. It is wonderful with Windows I
>>> hear but it sucks on Linux. Had I known....
>> Are you running the driver that nVidia gives away and fedora makes you
>> go out of your way to install and use?
>
> I think you mean nVidia makes you go out of the way.

No I don't mean that.  I don't have to make any extra effort for nVidia
drivers on Windows or Macs.  nVidia themselves are doing more work for
the Linux version since they can't count on a stable interface.  Fedora
could redistribute the driver as provided by nVidia but chooses not to.

> People can get
> FOSS Intel drivers with full rights directly from Fedora, so I don't
> think Fedora is the issue here.

Well we disagree, then.  I have no interest in having source or rights
to do anything but use the devices. I just want drivers that work and
that work should only have to be done once.

>  Apparently, ATI agrees.

They are probably just tired of trying to keep up with the kernel
breaking the interface in every update.  It will be interesting to see
how many people _really_ are able to do better than the vendor engineers
at writing drivers, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com