ATI video comes out of the closet

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 04:31:54 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

>>> And Windows has a stable interface?  Again, I refer you to Vista.
>> It is stable for many years at a time.
>
> So are certain Linux distributions.  It depends what you want.

I want applications that aren't years out of date, with a kernel that
doesn't break the drivers regularly with updates.  I haven't found such
a distribution yet.

>>> If they were willing to have hidden code they're legally unable to
>>> modify.
>> Or if they cared about their user experience...
>
> Right, I'm sure Fedora developers want to spite their users.

Maybe it's just a side effect that no one cares about then.  RHEL seems
to care enough to break things less often.

>> Firewire is still a good example.
>
> Don't know what you're talking about, so I'll guess.  Linux supports
> 1394b, but Vista doesn't
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire#Operating_system_support)?

I don't know anything about Vista and will wait until it is stable
before finding out.  Try depending on the fedora version.  It regularly
goes months at a time with various parts broken.  I've never had trouble
on a Mac.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com