figuring out all wireless connections on fedora 6/7

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 04:57:25 UTC 2007

--- Claude Jones <cjones at levitjames.com> wrote:

> On Thu September 6 2007, Globe Trotter wrote:
> > I get nothing, which is perhaps likely because nm-applet is part of
> > NetworkManager-gnome?
> >
> > Thanks again!
> > Trotter
>
> again, I suggest you give wifi-radar a try - it will do exactly what you
> described - it opens a GUI, gives you a list of available wireless networks,
> gives you the ability to configure security, offers a connect to command, and
>
> does an excellent job of starting/stopping the radios on a couple of laptops
> I've tried it on that wouldn't respond to other utilities - I can't speak to
> network-manager; people who have it working successfully swear by it, but
> there are tons of complaints and discussions about it come up repeatedly on
> this list
>
> to be clear, I've not tried wifi-radar on a lot of machines - it could have
> its own set of issues; I don't see it discussed negatively ever, but, that
> could be just that a lot of people don't use it - in any event, it will take
> you no more than 5 minutes to install it and  give it a shot if you're still
> looking for a solution

Hi Claude,

I did try it last night. It came up with nothing and I got the following error
messages on console:

eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1: error fetching interface information: Device not found
eth1      No such device

eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1: error fetching interface information: Device not found
eth1      No such device

repeatedly.

I don't know. Maybe I need some more stuff set up before I can do anything? Is
there a webpage with a helpfile or manual somewhere? Of course, I should google
it, haven't done that yet. Will do so, now.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Trotter