Slightly OT: Mark Shuttleworth Talks On ATI's New Linux Drivers

taharka res00vl8 at alltel.net
Fri Sep 7 20:32:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 19:37 +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> >> Come on RHAT -- or the Fedora Supreme Council or whatever it is today --
> >> you can do this kind of posturing and PR generation too.  Just start
> >> putting out press releases on Matters Of Importance.
> >
> > I have always been an advocate of quiet competence, rather than
> > loud bandwagon presentation.
> >
> > But that's just me...
>
> But you aren't on the NYSE[1], nor AFAIK are you running a great Linux
> distro that somehow only pulls something around ~10% of Linux users
> (including Redhat 8 and 9 IIRC) according to the last few surveys.
>
> If you look on the social sites it is Ubuntu and Shuttleworth all over
> the place.  Just sayin' that article could just've easily been with, or
> included, the Fedora PR Goto-guy, without becoming a Media-whore.

Below, another interesting read from Ziff Davis. Be sure to read the
talkbacks also ;-)

AMD nurtures open-source graphics

Advanced Micro Devices has become the second of the three major graphics
chip companies to decide it's a good idea to cooperate with Linux
programmers and users.

On Thursday, AMD joined Intel in actively supporting development of an
open-source driver, software that makes it easier for Linux to take
advantage of higher-end 3D features of the ATI graphics chips. ATI
already supplies proprietary graphics drivers for Linux, but that
approach comes with engineering and support problems, and the company
decided it's time to fund work to create an open-source option as well.

"What we see more recently is there is increased interest in using our
products on the desktop, not necessarily in the professional workstation
market, but as a general desktop," said Ben Bar-Haim, vice president of
software for AMD's graphics products group. "We felt we need to be in
that business and allow the community to write good open-source
software."

Read the rest at,
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6206581.html?tag=nl.e539

> -Andy