Successful install of Fedora7 in VPC2007 guest

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Sep 7 21:25:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 23:24:25 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:

>26. Next is the sound card setup, but you can continue here because
>    sound will not work.... Click Finish.

In the vpc newsgroup I got this response:
(C)
Sound does work, but only after you add a line to a config file. See
http://vpc.visualwin.com, the notes for Fedora Core 5 (five).

Add "modprobe snd-sb16" to /etc/rc.local

I did so and now after a reboot I can use the
System/Administration/Soundcard Detection applet and it can produce
test sounds.

But when I go to System/Preferences/Hardware/Sound I cannot make any
of the different sounds play at all.

Why is this?
In one case it produces sound and in the other there is nothing.
Do I have to be root to play sound? Don't think so but in the first
case I was prompted for root password but not in the second case.

Strange how this is working and then not.

Bo Berglund