Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Sep 9 11:24:14 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 17:12 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Should we take a poll on how many people want their machines to be
>> unbootable after an update?
>>

> I can't say that I've experienced that, and I've been using Linux for
> quite a few years, now.  I can say that I've seen some showstoppers when
> some driver has been updated on Windows, and reverting that can be quite
> a nightmare.
>
> In either system, I've done the odd update that's knobbled that
> particular thing, but that's about all.  e.g. An update to your email
> client turns out to be a real downgrade.

    I recall a kernel before a udev update on F7 that stopped all the
USB plugin memory to stop working. Then the udev update arrived and all
worked again. Now I'm worried that a new kernel will cause my nVIDIA fix
to fail. Or a udev update.

    This didn't cause the computer to not boot, but it does make you
gun-shy.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User