Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Erich Zigler ezigler at superhero.org
Sun Sep 9 13:31:33 UTC 2007

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 05:24:14 -0600 Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:

>     I recall a kernel before a udev update on F7 that stopped all the
> USB plugin memory to stop working. Then the udev update arrived and
> all worked again. Now I'm worried that a new kernel will cause my
> nVIDIA fix to fail. Or a udev update.
>     This didn't cause the computer to not boot, but it does make you
> gun-shy.

Regarding your NVIDIA issue usually the people over at Livna [1] are
quite fast about pushing out a new RPM with a new kernel. When you do a
yum update and notice a new kernel make sure that a new kmod-nvidia is
in there too.

If you want to run a Linux distribution that has very little chance of
breaking with updates please take a look at Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Desktop or CentOS.

1: I am sure other RPM repositories are just as quick. I do not have
any experience with them though.