speaking of nvidia binary drivers and beryl

Katalichenka, Sergey skatalichenka at constantcontact.com
Mon Sep 10 16:43:01 UTC 2007

The current 100.14.11 nvidia drivers have two major issues.

1. Random freeze on the dual core systems (can be eliminated by booting
your kernel with idle=poll)
2. Infamous "Black window bug" which has been around through at least
2-3 driver versions. According to the posts I saw on nvidia forums, its
not "high enough priority" This can also be eliminated (by 1. Setting
your rendering platform to AIGLX (serious performance lost). I have also
come across the bug, when beryl will not shut down freezing my laptop
during powerdowns with that setting. And 2, by setting rendering path to
"use copy". Which came with moderate performance lost, and did not
eliminate bug by 100%. In this setting some of your windows will go
black from time to time, but maximizing a window, then resizing it,
forces a redraw. It's not ideal, but at least I can get my window back
and able to shutdown)

Hope it helps