how to get "pr" and "lpr" to acknowledge my specified page length?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 12 08:23:22 UTC 2007

  i'm baffled as to why i can't get pr and lpr to just print a regular
text file so that i get my headers to come out properly and to start
at the top of the page each time.

  i want to print a text file with the regular headers and page
numbers and have a bit of a left offset, so i try:

  $ pr -o5 file | lpr

and it almost works except that, on each page, the top header sneaks
down a little further each time.  i've tried changing the page length,
and using "-f" to generate a form feed but nothing seems to work and,
in some cases, it just makes the output worse.

  so is there a trick to this?  all i want is the ability to

1) specify how many lines i want printed per page before starting a
new page, and

2) have the auto-header generated at the same place at the top of the
page each time.

  it can't be that hard.  can it?

rday

Robert P. J. Day