Does anyone have maxima working on Fedora Core 6?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 23:40:54 UTC 2007

--- Andras Simon <szajmi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/14/07, Antonio Olivares
> <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have a fully updated Fedora Core 6 machine with
> all the updates.  Maxima
> > is not working.
> >
> > [olivares at localhost ~]$ rpm -qa maxima*
> > maxima-5.13.0-4.fc6
> > maxima-gui-5.13.0-4.fc6
> > maxima-runtime-gcl-5.13.0-4.fc6
> > [olivares at localhost ~]$
> >
> > [olivares at localhost ~]$ uname -a
> > Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.22.4-45.fc6 #1 SMP
> Tue Aug 21 18:29:10 EDT
> > 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> > [olivares at localhost ~]$
> >

> > I know that Fedora Core 6 is approaching the time
> of its slow death, but it
> > was working previously.  Is anyone also having
> this trouble?
> >
> > I fire up xmaxima and the startup hangs.  It asks
> Starting Maxima timed out.
> >  Wait longer?
> >
> > If I click on any link below like integrate():  it
> returns
> >
> > Failed to eval region
> > Failed to eval region
> >     while executing
> > "error [mc "Failed to eval region"]"
> >     (procedure "doInvoke" line 50)
> >     invoked from within
> > "doInvoke .browser.t1.text @123,437 "
> >     (command bound to event)
> >

> I know that this is not much help, but: Does the
> command line version
> work? (I never used maxima, so I may be wrong about
> this, but I
> suspect that the maxima package provides a CLI.) In
> either case, you
> should file a bug report against either the
> maxima-5.13.0-4.fc6 or the
> maxima-gui-5.13.0-4.fc6 package, as appropriate. FC6
> is still
> supported.
>
> Andras
>
> --

CLI works as shown below.  It is xmaxima or the gui
that hangs and does not start.

[olivares at localhost ~]$ maxima
Maxima 5.13.0 http://maxima.sourceforge.net
Using Lisp GNU Common Lisp (GCL) GCL 2.6.7 (aka GCL)
Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file
COPYING.
Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
This is a development version of Maxima. The function
bug_report()
provides bug reporting information.
(%i1) integrate(1/(1+x^3),x);
                                         2 x - 1
                       2            atan(-------)
                  log(x  - x + 1)        sqrt(3)
log(x + 1)
(%o1)           - --------------- + ------------- +
----------
                         6             sqrt(3)
 3
(%i2) solve(x^3-7*x^2+7*x+1 =0,x);
              sqrt(3) %i   1    - 3/2
109 1/3
(%o2) [x = (- ---------- - -) (3      sqrt(373) %i +
---)
                  2        2
27
             sqrt(3) %i   1
         28 (---------- - -)
                 2        2           7
 + -------------------------------- + -,
       - 3/2                109 1/3   3
   9 (3      sqrt(373) %i + ---)
                            27
     sqrt(3) %i   1    - 3/2                109 1/3
x = (---------- - -) (3      sqrt(373) %i + ---)
         2        2                         27
              sqrt(3) %i   1
        28 (- ---------- - -)
                  2        2          7
 + -------------------------------- + -,
       - 3/2                109 1/3   3
   9 (3      sqrt(373) %i + ---)
                            27
      - 3/2                109 1/3                  28
                 7
x = (3      sqrt(373) %i + ---)    +
-------------------------------- + -]
                           27            - 3/2
       109 1/3   3
                                     9 (3
sqrt(373) %i + ---)

       27
(%i3) solve(x^3+7*x^2-7*x+1 =0,x);
              sqrt(3) %i   1    - 3/2
577 1/3
(%o3) [x = (- ---------- - -) (3      sqrt(373) %i -
---)
                  2        2
27
             sqrt(3) %i   1
         70 (---------- - -)
                 2        2           7
 + -------------------------------- - -,
       - 3/2                577 1/3   3
   9 (3      sqrt(373) %i - ---)
                            27
     sqrt(3) %i   1    - 3/2                577 1/3
x = (---------- - -) (3      sqrt(373) %i - ---)
         2        2                         27
              sqrt(3) %i   1
        70 (- ---------- - -)
                  2        2          7
 + -------------------------------- - -,
       - 3/2                577 1/3   3
   9 (3      sqrt(373) %i - ---)
                            27
      - 3/2                577 1/3                  70
                 7
x = (3      sqrt(373) %i - ---)    +
-------------------------------- - -]
                           27            - 3/2