I can not telnet to my Motorola ROKR E2 by usbnet.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Sep 16 15:59:43 UTC 2007

Jun Yi wrote:
> Hi,
>    I installed Fedora 4 (kernel version 2.6.17.13).
> When I plug in my ROKR E2. Fedora connects to the
> phone (the phone runs on linux too) automatically, and
> then I use ifconfig -a to show up the usb0. The
> address of usb0 is assigned automatically by DHCP. I
> modify this address to 192.168.1.2 by "ifconfig usb0
> 192.168.1.2 up", I verify the modification by using
> "ifconfig -a" again. Then I ping the address
> 192.168.1.2, it succeeds. But at last when I telnet to
> the phone, I got the prompt "Trying 192.168.1.2...
> telnet: connect to address 192.168.1.2: Connection
> refused. telnet: Unable to connect to remote host:
> Connection refused" I am sure that the telnet service
> in the cellphone is started and the port is the usual
> port (23), and no authority requirement for the telnet
> service. I did successfully telnet to the cellphone
> once. That was the first time that I pluged the usb
> line to my linux laptop and done the above procedures.
> However later on, I can not telnet to the cellphone
> any longer when I plug it again. And I found when the
> linux starts, the system fails to automatically load
> usb0.
>
>    I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I did not change
> any other configurations between my first try and
> subsequent tries. Why the first time I succeeded, and
> later on failed? Please help! I need to telnet to the
> phone and finish my job.
>
>    Thanks a lot
>
> newie-fedora

Questions:
 Why are you changing the IP address from the one assigned by DHCP?

 What other network connections do you have on the FC4 machine?

 Are you running a firewall?

 What is the output of "/sbin/route -n"?

A couple of things to keep in mind - first is that FC4 is no longer
supported. Second - You will not get usb0 unless the phone is
plugged in and turned on. You may also run into problem if you have
it plugged in at boot - you may have to unplug it, and plug it back
in again, or at least turn off the phone, and turn it back on.

Mikkel