Where is Alexander Larsson (Nautilus bug)?

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Wed Sep 19 12:08:42 UTC 2007

>     Unfortunately, qualifying bug reports (finding dupes, going back to the
>     reporter for missing information) can only be done by people who know
>     exactly what real problems are and what's needed to resolve them.
>
> This is simply untrue. I am currently about halfway through a bug triage
> of all Fedora 7 kernel bugs and am doing so solely on the basis of one
> page from the wiki which the kernel team put together. I know nothing of
> kernel code but I do know having had a few pointers from people in the
> know what information to request under what circumstances. If I can do
> that for the kernel I'm sure the same goes for any application.

Exactly. If you are one of those people who wants to help, but isn't a
good programmer, then bug triaging is a great way to help! It's also a
good way to start learning the code and open-source methods, if you are
interested in coding (even small patches help)!

My programming skills are pretty mediocre, but I've closed 1000+ bugs in
the gnome bugzilla in the past year (mostly by focusing on one
particular area of interest).

Interested volunteers should start here:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/bugsquad/

Non-programmers can also help with translation and documentation, among
other things:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/

> I think you just need to dive right into bugzilla and whatever component
> interests you then start with that. Bug triage is quite rewarding and
> people actually feel a little loved. Surely there is nothing like the
> hurt and pain of an un-answered bug report?

And if you can't do that... then at least make sure that your pet-peeve
bugs are correctly reported in the upstream bugzilla (unless it's a
Fedora-specific bug) with complete stacktraces and steps-to-reproduce,
so that the developers have a good starting point. And if bug-buddy pops
up after a crash, make sure you give a good description of what
triggered the crash in the comments field!

Really, people can help a lot, even if they aren't skilled programmers.

- Mike