bcm43xx and kernel-2.6.22.5-76.fc7

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 20 10:52:50 UTC 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Martin Marques wrote:

> Konstantin Svist wrote:
> > Tom Weniger wrote:
> > >
> > > I have the same BCM chipset which works fine with the latest kernel
> > > (-76). Have you tried to reconfigure wlan0? What does ifconfig output?

> > There is no wlan0; ifconfig -a does not list the wifi adapter
> > /var/log/messages only says "bcm43xx driver" when the module is
> > inserted - and there are no further messages
>
> Add "alias wlan0 bcm43xx" to /etc/modprobe.conf. Remove and insert
> again the driver with modprobe. Then check with ifconfig.

this wiki page i wrote might already be a bit out of date but you can
follow along and see what happens:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora

it worked for me for fedora 7 and f8t1.  i did have to add a new entry
to /etc/modprobe.conf to have the wifi adapter show up when i ran
system-config-network.

i should probably update that page.

rday
Robert P. J. Day