OT: Force Thunderbird NEVER to use HTML?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 06:45:53 UTC 2007

Richard England wrote:
> Mike,
>
> What does  the pull down menu  "Help > About Thunderbird"  tell you the
> version is?

I was going to try to do that, but couldn't get it to pull down
while I was also editing pref. and composing :-)

It's 1.0.2

Anyway, what I see there is worded somewhat vaguely, and it might
either mean that unless the domain is mentioned, it doesn't get
HTML, or it might mean that unless the domain is mentioned, it
might get HTML, or that the address book overrides whatever.

My EXPERIENCE is that, if I receive an HTML message, and reply
to it, I send HTML, unless the recipient is specifically in my
address book as not receiving HTML.

Here is the exact wording...

[QUOTE MODE ON]

Text Format
	When sending messages in HTML format and one
	or more recipients are not listed as being
	able to receive HTML:
		[Convert the message to plain text]
Note: Use the Address Book to specify preferred text
formats for recipients.

[QUOTE MODE OFF]

Hmm.... I don't WANT to send messages in HTML format.

Then there is below that a window with two tabs...

HTML domains (which can be filled in with a list)
Plain Text domains (which can be filled in with a list)

I don't want to fill in a list with every domain in the
world. I want just to TURN HTML OFF PERMANENTLY, since
I consider it undesirable in e-mail.

In fact, I'd like INCOMING mail to be converted to plain
text, as far as that goes, and not saved as HTML. I would
like to turn off links and other extensions "provided" by
HTML altogether. If I want to start a browser, I'll do so
by hand, and copy and paste, thank you. I see no way to do
THAT either. Thunderbird seems to have bought into HTML
pretty well.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.