How best get rid of SELinux?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 06:50:42 UTC 2007

On 9/21/07, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> IMO, it is a buggy pile of crap. And if I may be so bold as to speak
> for Gene, that is what "set him off". Having it on one's machine is
> demonstrably a cause of:

I respect your opinion, and hope you respect those of people like
myself who disagree with you, and think SELinux is a good thing

> (1) frustration

Haven't had such with SELinux in years.

> (2) failing machines

I have never had a machine fail because of SELinux

> (3) unnecessary making of "gurus" when we all want Linux easier
> for the non-technical user to administer

Considering SELinux doesn't require one to install their own rules, I
don't see how one makes the case for this point. Nor does everyone
share this goal of making everything easier for everyone.

> (4) bloat

That's highly subjective I believe.

> (5) more opportunity for defects and exploits

An undeniable consequence, but also a valid arguement against
firewalls, package management software, etc.

> > But when that smiling hacker from somewhere finally finally decides that
> > there are enough Linux users that think like Windows users he will write
> > that program that will wipe out your milling program.
>
> The only way to make systems robust is to make them simpler, not
> more complex.

I don't think that is the only way, complexity may decrease
robustness, but they are not mutually exclusive

> > Honest Gene. SELinux has never caused me a problem that a simple 'look 'n
> > fix it' could not solve. It is work in progress and when you use older
> > releases it can cause problems.
>
> Bully for you.
>
> Mike

Interesting response. What is the purpose of posting to the list if
not to share opinions?

( www.pembo13.com )