OT: Use Thunderbird to pick up ROOT Mail?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 15:42:54 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:
> I'd like to configure Thunderbird (and/or /root/.forward) so
> that e-mail to root shows up in my INBOX, and a filter automatically
> puts it into a Thunderbird folder (root). So far, I have not been
> successful in this. I have Thunderbird pulling using POP from my
> ISP. Anyone have advice?

I'd forward root's email to a different local user (just so you don't
need root's password all the time to pick it up), then add another IMAP
account in your thunderbird setup.  Thunderbird can have multiple
accounts, each with multiple folders that show up in the left navigation
pane and with IMAP you can drag/drop among them, even on different
servers.  The advantage of IMAP here is that you can access it from
multiple clients and see the same mail store.  If you only have one
machine that might not matter now, but that can change.   If you do have
multiple machines, you might also want to use fetchmail or getmail to
pull your ISP POP mail into a local mailbox where you can access it with
IMAP.  Another advantage of IMAP is that it avoids any
conversion/copying issues when changing email clients - any IMAP
compatible client will see the same messages stored on the server even
if you connect different ones at the same time.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com