Internet traffic and Azureus -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Sep 23 19:28:17 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:
> on 9/23/2007 2:55 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
>
>> David Boles wrote:
>>
>>> on 9/23/2007 12:01 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>>    The 'polite' rule is to share, upload, at least as much
>>> as you download. Most don't.
>>>
>> And, alas, Comcast now has Sandvine filters in place that block
>> bittorrent uploading as soon as you are no longer downloading.
>> The symptom is that as soon as your download reaches 100%, all
>> bittorrent upload connections get immediately terminated by a
>> perfectly forged TCP RST packet sent in both directions by a
>> network router.  That makes it impossible for Comcast HSI
>> subscribers to be Good Citizens with bittorrent.
>>

> I wondered just how they were going to do that. All of which was probably
> forced by the movie, game, music pirates. Too bad.
>
> For a time they were messing with the email/fedora lists for me.

I can ask the router to block sites based on keywords.  I have told it
to block "bittorrent."

Then asking Google to search "bittorrent" results in a message:

    "Web Site Blocked by NETGEAR Firewall"

However I don't know how one logs onto bittorrent?  Assuming they have
to address it by name that would impede them.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia