F7 sound not detected on swapping USB hard disk

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Sep 23 22:47:37 UTC 2007

antonio montagnani wrote:
> 2007/9/23, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>:
>> antonio montagnani wrote:
>>> After sound detection ny modprobe.conf file has been modified to:
>>>
>>> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
>>> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
>> I would remove this line, and re-run sound detection. It will not
>> fix your problem, but this line is supposed to store the mixer
>> settings when your sound card module is removed. I believe this is
>> for your old sound card, and one should be created for your new
>> sound card.
>>

> I have removed this line but no new line is created and modprobe looks
> llike herebelow
>
>>> alias eth0 tg3
>>>
>>> options snd cards_limit=8
>>> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
>>> options snd-hda-intel index=0
>>> alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
>>> options snd-usb-audio index=7
>>>

> shall I add lines manually???

I wouldn't. I find it annoying - I would rather save the settings
when I have them set how I normally use them, not when the system
shuts down. I may have changed things for some program, but I want
my normal settings back the next time I boot.

>> I am not sure why your USB sound device is set to be the 8th sound
>> card, but that should not cause a problem. What may be causing a
>> problem is that the snd-hda-intel module can have many
>> configurations depending on your hardware. You may need to do some
>> searching for the correct options. You may need to specify the model
>> or model=auto in the options line.
>>
> You mean by googling, don't you??? and model=auto in modprobe.conf

Googling, checking the web site for your laptop, maybe reading the
.pdf manuals, although they usually are not helpful for Linux.

Yes, you would add the model option to the option line in
/etc/modprobe.conf.

options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=auto
or
options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=ref

>> Also, check your mixer settings - you may have sound, but one or
>> more of the controls may be set too low for you to hear it. I use
>> the snd-intel-hda on my laptop, and if I do not specify the model, I
>> do not get all of the mixer controls, and the sound ends up being
>> very quiet. I end up missing some of the controls. With the correct
>> controls, I can set things the levels properly.
>
> That is my situation, I do not have most of controls, in particular
> mike is not present.
> Volume of playback is set high

That is because it is not using the correct "model" for your laptop.
I think there are about a dozen model options, as well as a couple
of other options, to get different configurations to work. I am not
sure how they detect the known configurations - I have not looked
that closely at the code for the module.

>> In an ideal would, the Linux settings would be provided with the
>> laptop, as are the windows settings. (This is why the sound drivers
>> for Windows tend to be laptop specific.)
>
> I agree with you, when you buy a new laptop you don't know how much
> you have to fight: very frustrating, I am not a super-expert, but
> after about 8 years of Linux use, I am not a newbie too; and I suppose
> that any newbie would revert immediately to Windows

Or go to their "friendly neighborhood geek". The same things Windows
users usually end up doing when they have problems. Local Linux
Users Groups are for fixing this type of problem - especially the
install fests. There is usually someone that knows the different
things to try.

> Once you find the settings
>> that work for your laptop, you may want to let the ALSA developers
>> know, so hte next person will not have to fight with it.
>>
> I have also filed a bug to bugzilla

Good - this is hte way things get fixed.

Mikkel