Running wireless and wired at the same time

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Sep 24 06:36:22 UTC 2007

> I am running fedora 7. I know the wireless works but the prgram I was
> using shuts down the wired portion when the wireless is working. In
> addition, I can not get the machine to boot with wpa active, the
> wireless portion times out when it boots up.

You need to disable NetworkManager

# chkconfig NetworkManager off
# service NetworkManager stop

There is a longstanding bug with wpa_supplicant run outside of
NetworkManager.  It is set to run at ordinal 12 in the initscripts, the
"network" service which brings up the interfaces is set for ordinal 10.
 The result is during boot, it tries to bring up your wireless interface
before the encrypted association has taken place, which craps out with
glorious inevitability.

What I have being doing is editing /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant to change
the line (it begins with a #)

# chkconfig:   - 12 88

# chkconfig:   - 09 88

and then run

# chkconfig wpa_supplicant off
# chkconfig wpa_supplicant on

In addition to do it by hand you need to set
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and
/etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant accordingly.

-Andy