How to mail the name of the user that logged off?

Brian Mury brianmury at alumni.uvic.ca
Tue Sep 25 06:46:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 00:20 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> How many "average users" (not administrators) do you know who use a shell
> on a Linux box that isn't bash?  I can count zero that I know, personally.

> How many Linux sysadmins do you know who regularly use a shell other than bash
> for something other than a very special purpose?  Again, I know of zero, myself.

Just because you don't know of any doesn't mean there aren't any. I'm
sure that there are lots who don't use bash. I'm one, and I do know some
others.

> Perhaps your experience is different than mine, but I would say that bash is
> the only CLI that's in regular use on every Red Hat and Fedora Linux machine
> that I have seen myself, to date.

That you have seen, perhaps. Otherwise, most definitely not!!!

> So it is indeed a reasonable assumption.

I suppose that depends on how important it is that the command he wants
to run on logout is run for every user. If it absolutely must happen for
all users, then no, it is definitely not a reasonable assumption. If
it's not a big deal if an occasional user slips through the cracks, then
it probably is a reasonable assumption.

> What terminal windows do you have active right now?  I have 4 bash windows open
> myself, at the moment, two "singles" and two with two tabs on each.

Right now, none. I sometimes have lots open, sometimes none at all (and
none of them are ever bash ;-) ). I'm not sure how this is relevant...