Grub installation on a USB external disk

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Sep 25 16:18:30 UTC 2007

antonio montagnani wrote:
> 2007/9/25, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>:
>> If you are booting the USB drive directly from the BIOS, then you
>> are going to have a problem with this. When you boot that way, the
>> USB hard drive becomes hd0 instead of hd1. Your laptop hard drive
>> becomes hd1 instead of hd0. So you have to change all the hd
>> references to reflect this. You may also want to change device.map
>> to reflect this.
>>

> Tnx Mikkel for the help
>
> device map is like this???
>
> (hd0)     /dev/sda
> (hd1)     /dev/sdb
>
> where sdb is the internal disk and sda is the USB disk.
>
> Tnx

It looks good to me. One thing I forgot to mention - make sure you
change the setting for the splash screen as well. Otherwise grub
tries to load it from the wrong drive and errors out. (I forgot
once.) You then get the grub> prompt, and wounder why.

You may also want to back up the mbr of your laptop hard drive
before running grub-install. If you goof, you can end up with a
system that will only boot with the USB drive installed. I use
something like "dd if=/dev/sda of=/root/save/sda.mbr count=1".

Mikkel