Grub installation on a USB external disk

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 10:09:30 UTC 2007

2007/9/26, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>:
> Tim:
> >> If it's on both drives, and the same partition number, it shouldn't
> >> matter.  It ought to work either way, it'd just use whichever drive it
> >> thought was hd0 at that time.  Alternative, you can comment it out and
> >> just have a textual screen.
>

> Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> > In this case, the OP only has windows on the laptop drive, so
> > changing the settings or disabling the splash screen are the only
> > options. He was booting from a boot CD, so the USB drive was the
> > second BIOS drive. But the new laptop can boot from a USB drive, and
> > the USB drive is the first BIOS drive when you do that. It makes
> > things interesting when doing the install.
>
> Though the splash screen graphics is in the boot location, along with
> the kernel (albeit in a sub-directory, but that doesn't have to be the
> case).  Where ever you're getting the boot kernel from, you ought to be
> able to get the graphics, too.  That lends itself to other interesting
> posibilities, like different graphics depending on where you boot from.
> You can customise it to your heart's content.
>
> --
> [tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
> 2.6.22.5-76.fc7 i686 i386
>
> Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5.  Today, it's FC7.

> --

Tim&Mikkel

tnx for help.
At the moment I have to suspend my work, as this morning, when I
booted the pc from my USB disk, it didn't recognize only the /boot
partition: the same when I connected the same USB disk to another PC.
I hope to recover the situation this evening at home, by the Fedora
DVD running an installation.

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag