Why radeontool?

Doug Wyatt dwyatt at sunflower.com
Sat Sep 29 23:25:42 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
>    I use the theory that those who are in charge of updates do a good
> job. I back this up with the fact that F7 had so many problems I wound
> up writing bug reports. But as the updates started to arrive first one
> and then another problem would disappear. Now I can't find a problem
> except one. My Palm Pilot can't work with F7. Every thing else is great.
>
>    Last week I got the updates to nVidia that would not work. I just
> said OK. This week we got a new kernel and the nVidia updates worked
> fine now. So I can't understand your problem unless you changed
> something that has yum messed up.

This thread was about me asking about a new package that didn't
make sense to me.  My interest, here, was to try to learn a bit
more about package management how's and why's.  In this case, I
am not indicating that I have a problem, just a question.  And,
I don't start or stop with a posting to this list.  I also look
for answers in other places.  e.g. I've found some information
on the pm-utils split over on the Fedora Developers list, for
example, that helps me understand a little more.

On another thread, I indicated that I had received postings from
the package announcement list indicating that the '7-85' kernel was
released, but my attempts to update did not show that new kernel
and visiting a few repositories, I also did not find that kernel.
My expectation was that an announcement wouldn't be sent until
the package was placed into the repositories.  Perhaps I was wrong,
or perhaps there was a last-minute problem with that release.

That kernel and a number of other updates became available and I
installed them, as indicated in the first posting in this thread.
And now, a new kernel update, '9-91' is available, and I've
installed that.  My Yum setup is fine.

I'm on this list to learn a bit, likely about problems I encounter,
sometimes just about questions I have, and if I should actually
think I have something useful to contribute, then I'll do that too,
though I'm pretty low on the learning curve for Linux.

Regards,
DAW