configure spamassassin to only check incoming email

Gijs info at boer-software-en-webservices.nl
Sun Jun 1 10:50:22 UTC 2008

Steven Stern wrote:

> and now
> undoable

> |> It all revolves around how you've implemented SA.  While it is
> possible to
> |> use it in a milter style fashion, the more common way is to run
> spamd, and
> |> call spamc from procmail, at delivery time.
> |>
> |> Noting that if your local PCs have been compromised, and are now part
> of a
> |> botnet, they're not going to send their spam out through your mail
> server,
> |> anyhow, it might be simpler to run via procmail at delivery, and bypass
> |> scanning outbound mail.
> |>

> | I know my way around in Linux but how mail is dealt with internally, I
> | have no clue whatsoever.
> | I've added the following line to the configuration of sendmail, so that
> | it works with spamassassin:
> | INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin', `S=local:/var/run/spamass.sock,
> | F=,T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')
> |
> | Apart from that, spamass-milter is running with the following command:
> | spamass-milter -p /var/run/spamass.sock -f -b spam at xxxx.com
> |
> | And spamd is ran like this:
> | /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -a -s local6 -u spam
> |
> | Maybe an easier way is to change the sendmail command PHP uses, since
> | the script that sends out all the emails makes use of PHP.
> | It would be enough for me to change the PHP standard sendmail command to
> | bypass spamassassin.
> | Hope this sheds some more light on my situation.
> |

> You need to tell spamass-milter to ignore locally generated mail:
>
> spamass-milter -p /var/run/spamass.sock -f -b spam at xxxx.com -i 127.0.0.1
>
> You may wish to add other network addresses as a list following "-i",
> e.g.,
> ~    -i 127.0.0.1,10.0.0.0/8

Well, this seems to have done the trick. Thanks a lot!
I've already tried to ignore 127.0.0.1 inside the configuration of
spamassassin.
But when I tried that, spamassassin analyses the mail to see if it
matches 127.0.0.1 and already takes up a lot of time.
The solution you provided brought the delay down to a little less than a
second, which should be doable.

Thanks again :)