Weirdness with Fedora/XP upgrade -- DEFEAT with honor

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Jun 1 15:02:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:01:59 +0000, I Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
	[....]
	As posted in the thread on X not starting, I finally threw in the
towel. I salvaged most of my home directory by scp to another LAN
machine; did a fresh install of F8 onto the linux drive; copied back the /
etc/grub.conf I had had before; made sure I could still boot to XP; ran
yum update; and copied back the salvaged files.

	The machine now runs F8 (and, rarely, XP) just as before. My
copious thanks to all those who helped.

	I will try an upgrade again; but I'll try to wait for the
anaconda bug to get stomped, and use a respin -- since my suspicion is
that it was some combination of that, the new monitor, and the dual-boot
that I tripped over.

	Meanwhile, with both machines behind a KVM switch, I'm having the
curious experience of changing at the push of a button between two
machines which are nearly identical except for the OS -- all the same
apps (other than Firefox 2 vs. 3) on all the same workspaces ...

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2 & 3