updating USB flash drive MBR to allow boot

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Mon Jun 2 03:11:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 14:13 -0500, Javier Perez wrote:

> My question is how do we do this with Fedora?
> I already tried out the install-live-to-usb thingy and it did not
> work.
>
> In fact the section in installing the mbr is blank at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

I did this just a couple of days ago with a 1 GB Data Traveller stick.
I'll make this quick:

1. With fdisk
	1. delete any existing partitions on the stick.
	2. create a new partition.
	3. mark the new partition bootable.
	4. write your changes.
2. create a ext3 file system on the stick's new partition.
3. run the live to usb tool.

I know I missed all the details, but the steps above should be enough to
get your stick running with Fedora 9.

HTH,

Ranbir

--