Fedora 9 & runlevel 3

Bob Barrett bobbrrtt at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 2 03:41:16 UTC 2008

I have never liked starting in X. I like to start in runlevel 3 and
start if, and when I want with startx.

I have fixed /etc/inittab. The boot sequence looks like it will start in
runlevel 3. All the messages show right up to login in tty1. The login
prompt lasts about half a second, then the screen goes blank, the mouse
pointer appears with the circling moons on the black tty screen, and gdm
then wants my login. I log in, open a terminal, run runlevel and it
answers with number 5.

It looks like it has booted in runlevel 3, but something is then running
"telinit 5". I've searched recent mails to this list, and I've searched
the startup scripts, /etc/rc.d/rc3.d, etc., but have not been able to
find anything. Any suggestions?

Bob