From Grip to Sound Juicer

Francois frmas at free.fr
Mon Jun 2 15:35:42 UTC 2008

On lundi 2 juin 2008, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> I don't think you can directly use the same commandline options in gst
> pipelines. I found this reference for the lame encoder:
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-ugly
>-plugins/html/gst-plugins-ugly-plugins-lame.html
>
> Based on the examples in the link I sent before, I was under the
> impression that mode=0 specificed VBR (variable bit rate) and mode=1
> specified CBR (constant bit rate) but looking at this latest link, I
> am not so sure now since it specifies "Stereo" as the default.
>
> You might have more success with just using one of the presets. Remove
> all the mode/vbr-quality/bitrate stuff and just put in preset=extreme
> for very good encoding (VBR at target bitrate of 245 kbps) or
> preset=insane (CBR at 320 kbps) for the best you can get. You will get
> big files with either of these. Both preset=standard (VBR at target
> bitrate of 190 kbps) and preset=medium (VBR at target bitrate of 165
> kbps) will give you a lot better than CBR at 128 kbps.

Finally, I've been successfull.
You have to run : gst-inspect-0.10 lame
This gives you all available options.

Then runs :
gnome-audio-profiles-properties and write in it what you want.

The one that works on my system is the following command line :
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc mode=0 vbr=4
vbr-quality=0 vbr-max-bitrate=320 vbr-min-bitrate=192 ! id3v2mux

I got to reboot to make it works.

Hope that helps someone else. Francois