Unable to set LC_COLLATE system-wide

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Tue Jun 3 12:41:07 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have noticed that despite setting both LC_COLLATE and LANG in
the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file, it seems that the LC_COLLATE does not get
set for normal users, but does get set for root.

The file contains:

  #LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
  SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
  LANG="en_GB"
  LC_COLLATE="C"

but checking it seems that LC_COLLATE is not exported:

  {john}11: echo $LANG
  en_GB
  {john}12: echo $LC_COLLATE

  {john}13:

For root though:

  [root at jhorne ~]# echo $LANG
  en_GB
  [root at jhorne ~]# echo $LC_COLLATE
  [root at jhorne ~]#

Anyone know how I can get LC_COLLATE set on a system-wide basis for
ordinary users?
I have checked on an F9, F8 and FC7 system, and it is not set on any of
them (for ordinary users), but LANG is. Ironically on an RHEL3 (update
9) and RHEL4 (update 6) system, both variables are set and exported for
all users.

Thanks,

John.