surely an ordinary package shouldn't depend on devel packages?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 15:08:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:56:30 -0400 (EDT), Mike Burger wrote:

> > On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 09:49 -0400, Mike Burger wrote:
> >> Quite often, those -devel packages have library files included on
> >> which the non-devel package depends.  Packages that depend on the
> >> kernel-devel packages spring to mind, but many others do, as well.
> >
> > It rather begs the question though: why does a package have a library
> > that the package itself doesn't depend on? e.g. xine-lib-devel
> > includes /usr/lib64/libxine.so but xine itself doesn't. Wierd.
>
> I'd wager that xine has libxine statically linked and/or compiled in.

No, libxine.so is just a symlink pointing to the real and versioned
library file in the xine-lib package. This symlink is needed only when
building software -- it's the link that makes the -lxine linker
command work.

--
Fedora release 9.90 (Rawhide) - Linux 2.6.26-0.45.rc4.git2.fc10.i686
loadavg: 1.30 1.60 1.58