Is the single quote character the same as an apostrophe

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Tue Jun 3 19:44:19 UTC 2008

I'm having a problem setting my address properly on a French site. The address
includes the line, 2 Chemin de L'AA. L'AA is composed of L plus apostrophe
plus AA, in case you are seeing this different. When I set L'AA in my address
box on this site, it views as set, but when I validate the address on the
site it comes back as L\'AA, which if you arn't seeing this, is L plus
backslash plus apostrophe plus AA. This is really wierd.

Is the single quote the same as an apostrophe? If not, where do I find the
apostrophe character.

I'm using KDE, and a gb keyboard layout, and have also tried out the ca
layout, which I use a lot for french accented characters on my qwerty
keyboard.

Posting from the ancient FC2, and Kmail.

btw: I do have other Fedora versions installed, and used up to F8, but FC2 is
an old faithfull, and plods along on this machine, with virtually no
problems, apart from the mouse pointer freezing on the odd occasion.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nigel.