Logwatch report on another machine?

Nicolae Ghimbovschi xfreebird at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 00:06:06 UTC 2008

Fedora uses syslogd to provide a syslog service.
The default configuration of syslogd  rejects messages from remote systems.

To configure a Fedora system to accept log messages from other systems
on the network, edit the file /etc/sysconfig/syslog.
You must use root privileges to edit the file /etc/sysconfig/syslog.
Add the option -r to the SYSLOGD_OPTIONS:

SYSLOGD_OPTIONS="-m 0 -r"

Restart the syslogd service to apply the change:

su -c '/sbin/service syslog restart'

By default, the syslog service listens on UDP port 514.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 2:56 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> How can I get the logwatch report on one machine (helen.gayleard.com)
> sent to another machine (alfred.gayleard.com) on the same LAN?
>
> I tried editing /etc/aliases on the first machine,
> changing the last line to
>        root:           tim at alfred.gayleard.com
> (and running newaliases) but this did not do the trick.
>
> I also tried adding MAILER(local) in sendmail.mc on helen
> (and restarting sendmail), but this appeared to have no effect.
> I'm not sure what MAILER(local) means?
>
> It seems to be more difficult than I thought
> to send email from one machine on a LAN to another.
> Is there some line I could add to sendmail.mc which would enable this?
>
> Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
>

> --

"Be the change you want to see in the world !" Mahatma Gandhi