Fedora 9 & runlevel 3

Bob Barrett bobbrrtt at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 4 00:44:19 UTC 2008

g wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> menu.lst is better known in the Fedora world as:  /etc/grub.conf
>
> if menu.lst is left as a link, which it does not seem to have to be.

I have employed the brute  force solution:

  /usr/sbin/gdm

  [F8:root at orion /etc/rc.d]# l /usr/sbin/gdm
  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 666 2008-05-12 14:00 /usr/sbin/gdm*

  [F8:root at orion /etc/rc.d]# chmod 400 /usr/sbin/gdm

  [F8:root at orion /etc/rc.d]# l /usr/sbin/gdm
  -r-------- 1 root root 666 2008-05-12 14:00 /usr/sbin/gdm

It is not executable anymore. But this should not be necessary. I want
it to boot to runlevel 3.
I changed /etc/inittab to id:3:initdefault:. It boots to runlevel 3, and
login displays the login
prompt, but before I can log in, it appears that some process runs
"telinit 5".

Then the gdm login request appears. Since I have not logged in yet, I
can't run ps to see what
process is running. It should not work this way.

I have run:

  sudo grep -rs gdm /etc/ | less
  sudo grep -rs xdm /etc/ | less
  sudo grep -rs 'telinit 5' /etc/ | less
  sudo grep -rs telinit /etc/ | less
  sudo grep -rs 'runlevel 5' /etc/ | less
  sudo grep -rs runlevel /etc/ | less

Xdm is not installed.

If there was something calling gdm in /etc/rc.d/ or /etc/event.d/, I
should have found it.
It's probably not in the startup scripts because it happens after
/bin/login has run.

Therefore, I ran:

  "grep -rs /bin/gdm / | less"   which produced:

  Binary file /etc/prelink.cache matches
  Binary file /var/lib/rpm/Packages matches
  Binary file /var/cache/yum/updates/primary.sqlite matches
  Binary file /var/cache/yum/AdditionalFedoraSoftware/primary.sqlite matches
  Binary file /var/cache/yum/fedora/primary.sqlite matches

Non of these look like they would be running "/bin/gdm".

I should not have had to remove executable permissions from /bin/gdm.
Editing /etc/innittab
should have been sufficient. Surely, someone else has had this problem.
I'd sure like to
know what other process is running while /bin/login is waiting for me to
login.

bob