Slightly OT: Verify certificate?

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 4 13:03:30 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> g:
>
> Tim:
>>> That's a bit like never eat any food that you've never eaten before.
>
> g:
>> not really. you can 'whiff' food.
>
> The smell of food wouldn't prove it to be non-poisonous.

nor does 'encoded'. you 'whiff' and see 'encoded', or what ever.

>  Even a taste test can be risky.

which is why 'whiff'. ever take a science lab. 'wave hand'?

> Analogies are never a great idea.

i agree. i did not start this one. just trying to relate.

> Don't be an asshole with me.

as i said, above. so do not judge.

>> if you open an email in an editor that is not 'email aware'
>
> On some systems just attempting to do that can be a problem.

not so with linux and i thought that this is what this thread is about.

>  You've got
> to save the content,

all of this is as ridiculous as your judgment.

>> i do not read email in my 'inbox' with thunderbird.
>
> That's a little like "I have an email program, but I don't use it,"

there you go again. with filters, i do not need it. rid yourself of gates.

> which is hardly a good recommendation for using a program.  And just
> avoiding the unknown mail isn't really a great solution.  A great many

> people get compromised by mail that came from someone they knew, or

knew not very well, and they ran no other protection or converters.

> There isn't a way to stop Thunderbird rendering mail, certainly no way

it does render, i do not deny. yet when configs have been set, it will
display / render 'text like' email.

> You may think that selecting the plain text version is showing you the
> plain text, but it's not.

i do not claim that it does. nor do i argue your point. you do not like
colour bars at sides of you emails.

it is something that mozilla has been picked on for ages. they have their
reasons, one day they may add a 'style' so such can be changed. may be no.

it may already be in setup files, but not in user config.

'colour bars' or '>', is not an issue.

one thing i will say, evolution's rendering is not that much better. i
find evolution awkward and putting text inside a window on a header page
sucks. that is my opinion.

whole of issue of subject is anne being bugged by a 'verify certificate'.

i am trying to help her understand that just like there is more than
one email viewer/reader/render, there are ways to view and email and
get an idea of how to see what is causing what.

> Having to not "open" messages,

still, you are missing point, or just like to post your debate.

it is not a matter of 'having to' or rest of comment.

if you do not understand, or can not figure it out, start another post
so you can have a thread for a 'viewer/reader/render' flame war.

further intended use of this thread, on my part, is to help anne find
answer and understand reason.

so, anne, please forward me, off this thread, email you are questioning
and i will be glad to give you more complete help.

btw, your personal filters are still set, so you will get in and not
be left sitting in 'inbox'. ;o)

--

yes. i am running fedora 8, using mozilla thunderbird. and it feels good.  ;o)

tc,hago.

.