OT: Does a proxy IMAP server exist?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 14:57:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 11:31 +0000, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Just curious if such a thing as a "proxy IMAP" server exists? (Preferably
> already available in some rpm I can install on fedora :-).
>
> What is that, you ask?
>
> I'd like to continue to keep my mail on the IMAP server at work, but I'd
> like better spam filtering than the server-side rules provide.
>
> What I'd really like to have is something on my desktop that acts like
> an IMAP server, but really forwards requests to the main server, however
> it does allow me to do procmail/spamassassin/bogofilter processing of the mail
> on the corporate IMAP server so I can delete obvious spam, etc. before
> anything talking to my local IMAP server even sees it.

We used Perdition (http://www.vergenet.net/linux/perdition/) for a while
because we needed to gradually move several thousand accounts from UW to
Cyrus IMAP servers, and we could transparently switch between them based
on the user id. Somewhat beyond what you're looking for but it worked
well and wasn't too hard to set up.

poc