laptop fc7 with NetworkManager couldnt find wired ip

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 17:06:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 1:07 PM, jackson byers <byersjab at gmail.com> wrote:
> on new laptop, with fc7
> NetworkManager in charge
> couldnt get on network with wired connection to router
> ifconfig kept giving    eth0  169.254.xxxx
>
> finally from google search on 169.
>  DHCP Considerations
>
> DHCP clients automatically give their NICs and IP address starting
> with 169.254.x.x until they can make contact with their DHCP server.
> When contact is made they reconfigure their IP addresses to the values
> provided by the DHC server. An interface with a 169.254.x.x address
> signifies a failure to communicate with the DHCP server. Check your
> cabling, routing and DHCP server configuration to rectify such a
> problem.
>
> ok at least then i knew the 169.xx was a standard
> but i was prettty sure my wiring was ok
> basically dslmodem-linksysrouter- lanside
> - 2desktops static ips working for years, fc5 and an imacg5.
>
> But now the fc7 laptop also wired connecition, but trying to connect via dhcp
> which was evidently my problem.
>
> Maybe not surprising since I have been strictly static ip based up until now.
> It has been years since i did any configure steps on the router
> and i have probably misplaced any cd that came with it.
> So i wasnt at all sure at how to go about trying to "wake up" my router
> to dhcp requests
>
> I finally found in carla schroder linux cookbook a complete example
> for "setting up a dhcp server" which i used on the laptop,
> altho i wasnt at all sure this would help me "wake up" my router to
> dhcp requests.

It won't. I would try to learn the basics of networking first if I
were you. Networking for Dummies is an excellent book( I own it).
Windows oriented in explaining execution but networking is networking
and there are a couple of chapters that deal exclusively with Linux.

>  I put in following file
>
> [root at r3-mobile etc]# cat dhcpd.conf
>
> default-lease-time 259200;
> max-lease-time 518400;
>
> subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>  option broadcast-address 192.168.2.255;
>  option routers 192.168.2.1;
>  range 192.168.2.90 192.168.2.150;
>  option domain-name-servers 206.13.28.12 206.13.31.12;
> }
>
> (As an aside, I would  _never_  have figured out all of that syntax from
> the various dhcp,dhclient ....   man pages)
>

> and rebooted the laptop
> I had to fuss a bit more:
> in order for eth0 to get its new dhcp assigned ip, it
> seemed to also require taking the ethernet cable out and back in.
> But now the laptop is on the net with dhcp working, and surviving reboots.
>
> Questions:
> 1)Is what i did overkill?  I think it means i made the laptop itself
> the dhcp server
> Its working, but i would like some feedback from the list
>
> 2) what steps would i need to instead try to kick the router into
> doing the dhcp?

log into the router and turn it on, it is usually on in store bought
routers by default, IIRC,  so I am guessing you turned it off at some
point.
Make sure you stop the laptop from serving ip's before you turn on the
dhcp server in the router.

> Several months ago my vendor had me jumping thru hoops using dhclient
> and some combo, including taking cable out/back in,
> eventually got the wired eth0 working.

 dhclient runs when the interface comes up and handles getting the ip
address from the dhcp server. You shouldn't have to unplug anything to
get it to work.

> But then family health problemsetc intervened and I just abandoned the laptop
> until now.
> Any hints re use of dhclient?

man dhclient , I hate to say it but if you don't understand the man
page then you need more networking background in my opinion.