Logwatch report on another machine?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jun 4 18:52:58 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

>> > Speaking of which, you could try changing the "mailto" field in
>> > /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf.
>>
>> This file was empty (except for a comment line) on my Fedora-9 system.
>> But I've added
>> -------------------------------
>> MailTo = tim at alfred.gayleard.com
>> MailFrom = Logwatch
>> -------------------------------
>> and will see if this does the trick.
> ----
> it won't
>
> # host alfred.gayleard.com
> Host alfred.gayleard.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> # host helen.gayleard.com
> Host helen.gayleard.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> # host gayleard.com
> gayleard.com has address 86.43.71.228
> gayleard.com mail is handled by 10 mail.gayleard.com.
>
> no known host names for alfred.gayleard.com or helen.gayleard.com but
> there is a gayleard.com and a mail.gayleard.com - those are usable...

I realize that these names are not known to the real world.
But I imagine that there must be some way of sending email
from one machine on a LAN to another
without going outside the LAN.
Or at least a way of sending the logwatch report "along the LAN".

In fact, I know I used to do this.
IIRC this was effected simply by giving the name of the machine
that I wanted the logwatch to be sent to, in /etc/aliases .
But if that ever worked it does not appear to now.

I suspect that there has been some change in sendmail,
or at least in the default sendmail.mc .

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net