OT: Does a proxy IMAP server exist?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 19:14:50 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> Just curious if such a thing as a "proxy IMAP" server exists? (Preferably
> already available in some rpm I can install on fedora :-).
>
> What is that, you ask?
>
> I'd like to continue to keep my mail on the IMAP server at work, but I'd
> like better spam filtering than the server-side rules provide.
>
> What I'd really like to have is something on my desktop that acts like
> an IMAP server, but really forwards requests to the main server, however
> it does allow me to do procmail/spamassassin/bogofilter processing of the mail
> on the corporate IMAP server so I can delete obvious spam, etc. before
> anything talking to my local IMAP server even sees it.

I'm not sure if a typical proxy would give you any hooks for actions on
the content.  Many IMAP clients can apply client-side rules to sort and
filter if you want to keep the storage on the original server - or you
don't mind making another copy you could use fetchmail to grab it (with
or without deleting from the original server) so you can feed it to
procmail before it is stored where you look at it.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com