Logwatch report on another machine?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jun 4 21:40:12 UTC 2008

Dave Burns wrote:

> OP seems to have two problems:
>
> 1) sendmail is not configured correctly, email sent by cron jobs is
> not delivered.
> 2) He would like to send mail to an address which is broken, either
> the domain doers not exist or DNS not working right? Could it be that
> his machine has the hostname set as 'alfred' and is on the
> gayleard.com network, so thinks of itself as alfred.gayleard.com, but
> his ISP (gayleard?) has not set things up so that DNS can resolve that
> name?

Actually, I am not running a sendmail server in this sense on my system.
I don't think port 25 is open to incoming packets.

I don't really want my logwatch report to go to my ISP.
If I did there would be no problem, I would send the email
to gayleard at eircom.net , which is my email address.

My hope is that it is possible to send email locally
without involving anything outside one's own system.
I still believe there must be some simple change one can make
to sendmail.mc which would allow this.

> Anyhow, logwatch may or may not be configured correctly, but the
> reports will never show up until sendmail gets configured properly.
> His ISP should be able to help? Mine would probably tell me to go buy
> a windoze PC.

I think this is a misunderstanding of what I am trying to do.
I could easily send my logwatch report to the machine I want (alfred)
by posting it to gayleard at eircom.net , my email address.
I collect my mail by fetchmail from my ISP every 5 minutes.
(I also collect it from 2 other servers, including gmail.com ,
as well as a UUCP feed.)

But I think it must be possible to process and deliver it locally,
and am trying to find out if this belief is justified.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net