Logwatch report on another machine?

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Wed Jun 4 22:58:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> Dave Burns wrote:
>
>> OP seems to have two problems:
>>
>> 1) sendmail is not configured correctly, email sent by cron jobs is
>> not delivered.
>> 2) He would like to send mail to an address which is broken, either
>> the domain doers not exist or DNS not working right? Could it be that
>> his machine has the hostname set as 'alfred' and is on the
>> gayleard.com network, so thinks of itself as alfred.gayleard.com, but
>> his ISP (gayleard?) has not set things up so that DNS can resolve that
>> name?
>
> Actually, I am not running a sendmail server in this sense on my system.

Which one? You need something running on helen so that email can be
sent, something else running on alfred so the email can be received.

> I don't think port 25 is open to incoming packets.

Well, if that is the system where you want to receive email, that
would explain why you don't receive any. If on the other system,
irrelevant.

> I don't really want my logwatch report to go to my ISP.
> My hope is that it is possible to send email locally
> without involving anything outside one's own system.

It is possible but not easy, at leatst for me.

> I still believe there must be some simple change one can make
> to sendmail.mc which would allow this.

On helen, the change would be simple. But the other system would not
be easy, at least for me, not a sendmail expert.

>> Anyhow, logwatch may or may not be configured correctly, but the
>> reports will never show up until sendmail gets configured properly.
>> His ISP should be able to help? Mine would probably tell me to go buy
>> a windoze PC.
>
> I think this is a misunderstanding of what I am trying to do.

More of a "why make this so hard?"

> I could easily send my logwatch report to the machine I want (alfred)
> by posting it to gayleard at eircom.net , my email address.
> I collect my mail by fetchmail from my ISP every 5 minutes.
> (I also collect it from 2 other servers, including gmail.com ,
> as well as a UUCP feed.)
>
> But I think it must be possible to process and deliver it locally,
> and am trying to find out if this belief is justified.

Hmm, if you're a fetchmail guru, why not use that? Send the logwatch
reports to root at helen, then on Alfred use fetchmail every 5 minutes to
fetch root at helen's mail.
Dave