F9 Installation Challenge

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Jun 5 10:57:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 10:27:00PM +0100, Dave Cross wrote:
> As mentioned in a couple of previous mails to this list, trying to
> upgrade my laptop[1] from F8 to F9 has gone horribly wrong. I'd really
> appreciate any help to fix this.
>
> I basically have two problems.
>
> 1/ I can't use any of the Fedora boot media. When I boot with the
> installation DVD I get to the "press enter to install or upgrade
> Fedora" screen, but the keyboard is disabled so I can't press enter.
> I've also tried with the Live CD and the rescue disk, but neither of
> those work either. I've also created a boot USB key, but the BIOS on
> this system doesn't support booting like that. This is a problem I've
> hard with Fedora installation media right back to F7. For the last few
> upgrades I've used "yum upgrade".

Others have suggested the use of an external keyboard already. There is
another issue that may be causing your problem: the BIOS. I encountered
the same thing on a Dell desktop pc. In my case, a BIOS upgrade solved
the problem, but there is also another solution: when you keep the shift
key pressed while booting the cd, it reverts to the "old" behaviour
without the fancy boot menu, and you get a boot prompt where you can
press enter or type a boot commandline with options.

David Jansen