Mono sound only, PulseAudio and Fedora 9... or "where's system-config-sound?"

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 15:33:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 15:39 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 05 June 2008 15:14, Steve Searle wrote:
> > Around 03:08pm on Thursday, June 05, 2008 (UK time), Anne Wilson scrawled:
> > > That's less stable than 3, though :-)
> >
> > No, if you saw apropriate amounts off each of the legs it will be
> > stable.
> >
> Ever tried doing that? :-)  No - 3-legged stools were invented for stability
> on uneven ground, essential in the meadow :-)

Depends what you mean by stability. If you mean "not prone to rocking"
then 3 is better in the sense of "easier to do". If you mean "less
likely to tip over" then 4 is better (4 legs in a square arrangement can
be seen as several overlapping sets of 3 legs). I'm assuming regular
polygons with coplanar endpoints in each case of course.

Somewhat OT, but there's a proof that a 4-legged table (under the above
conditions) can always be placed in a stable -- i.e. non-rocking --
position on an irregular (but non-stepped) surface by rotating it about
its vertical axis. See for example
http://www.maa.org/devlin/devlin_02_07.html

poc