laptop fc7 with NetworkManager couldnt find wired ip-correction

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 5 15:42:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 08:29 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 12:43 -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
> > >
> > > On my laptop switching from wireless to wired in f7 is seamless.
> >
> > <envy>
> >
> > >Why do
> > > you need to provide a DHCP server?
> >
> > Is this addressed to the OP or to me?
> >
> > >A server should be available to your
> > > machine as soon as you start your connection.
> >
> > I have no problem with the DHCP server. But I had to go through a long
> > struggle of turning off services and fiddling with drivers and making
> > sure network did not start wired networking on boot etc. to get
> > wireless to work on the laptop. At that point it would no longer do
> > wired. I assume I can retrace my steps to where wired worked and
> > wireless did not. Trudging through the  official NetworkManager docs,
> > I found no mention of the various secret tricks I saw suggested on
> > this list and that finally got my wireless going. Maybe my RTFM is
> > inadequate, I have to cop to being impatient, but it all seemed to be
> > "install rpm for NM, 123, tra la la, you're done, wireless should work
> > now" without mentioning the various tricks I had to try. There are
> > several threads in the archives where  people try to help someone
> > troubleshoot NM and wireless, but it seems highly manufacturer and
> > even model dependent. I guess if it "just works" for you, be happy.
> > Dave
> >
> Ok, I assume you have the network file in /etc/init.d turned off. If not
> you should if you want NM to work as advertised.
I guess I spoke to fast without considering the question properly, In my
experience if you bring up a f7 system with the wired Internet plugged
in NM will default to wired connection, especially if the corresponding
ifcfg-xxx file contains ONBOOT=yes. In that state getting it to bring up
wireless is somewhat of a problem. But without the wired interface
plugged in wireless is available. If you are connected wireless and you
plug in the wire it will switch over to a wired connection.
Show your affection, which will probably meet with pleasant response.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net