Logwatch report on another machine?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 20:01:06 UTC 2008

Kayvan A. Sylvan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 07:29:20PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> No, the IP address of alfred is 192.168.2.1 ,
>> as it says in /etc/mail/mailertable on helen:
>>         alfred.gayleard.com esmtp:[192.168.2.1]
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>> I'll pursue the missing message -
>> I should be able to work out where it has gone.
>>
>> Maybe sendmail is modelled on the Irish postal service ...
>
> Probably the receiving sendmail needs to be configured to allow relaying
> from your source host.

It's not relaying to accept for local delivery.  The receiving side
needs to be configured to accept over the network (remove the 127.0.0.1
restriction from DAEMON_OPTIONS), test by a telnet to port 25 from
elsewhere, and it needs to know what to accept (add the name to
local-host-names if it can't look itself up in DNS and get that name).
Once it is receiving over the network you can track any other issues by
the entries in /var/log/maillog.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com