F9 Installation Challenge

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:33:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Raymond C. Rodgers <sinful622 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave Cross wrote:
>>
>> As mentioned in a couple of previous mails to this list, trying to
>> upgrade my laptop[1] from F8 to F9 has gone horribly wrong. I'd really
>> appreciate any help to fix this.
>>
>> I basically have two problems.
>>
>> 1/ I can't use any of the Fedora boot media. When I boot with the
>> installation DVD I get to the "press enter to install or upgrade
>> Fedora" screen, but the keyboard is disabled so I can't press enter.
>> I've also tried with the Live CD and the rescue disk, but neither of
>> those work either. I've also created a boot USB key, but the BIOS on
>> this system doesn't support booting like that. This is a problem I've
>> hard with Fedora installation media right back to F7. For the last few
>> upgrades I've used "yum upgrade".
>>

> Simple, if obvious question: Have you tried using an external keyboard?
> Naturally, most keyboards should "just work" regardless of the operating
> system, including on a laptop, but if it isn't, perhaps trying an external
> keyboard may help. Off hand, it sounds like your laptop's keyboard may be
> using USB internally rather than the PS2 standards, and perhaps it the BIOS
> doesn't have any option for legacy USB keyboard support or something along
> those lines. If it has a PS2 port, try connecting a PS2 keyboard to it and
> see if that will allow you to install. If not, perhaps an external USB
> keyboard will work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't know if the keyboard is using a USB connection internally, and
I don't know how to find out. The BIOS has a "Legacy USB" option which
switches between "off" and "auto". I've tried both options and it
makes no difference.

The laptop has no PS2 port. I've tried an external USB keyboard, but
it made no difference.

Cheers.

Dave...