make thunderbird NOT show html

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 01:07:33 UTC 2008

Roger Heflin wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>> Roger Heflin wrote:

>>> Sorry about that.
>>>
>>> I used Google's webmail interface for that message, and I checked I
>>> cannot see any option in the "settings" to do it any other way (at
>>> least all of the time), it kind of looks like you need to hit plain
>>> text on a given reply email, and it kind of looks like once you hit
>>> plain text (or rich formatting) on any one message it stays that way
>>> for all later reply (not exactly how one would have expected the
>>> interface to act-or where one would have expected the option to be,
>>> and it should still be in settings as that is were it actually
>>> belongs for a what appears to be a permanent setting).
>>>
>>> This one should not be RTF or HTML, I sent it from thunderbird and I
>>> am 99% sure it is setup to only send plain text.
>>>
>>>                             Roger
>>

>> You did see the  ;-)  in there correct?
>
> Yes, I did, I just agree with your statement about RTF.
>

>> Gmail defaults the same way. It is the 'hard line' Linux zealots can
>> be upset. Most of us just move on.
>
> I am more annoyed that it was not in the settings like it should be, I
> always go into the settings and setup things like I want them, but it is
> hard to do when they don't put it in the settings, and hide it someplace
> else.

I do not now about Yahoo. My son uses Yahoo and his emails are RTF. I normally
don't see it because I have normally have TB set to plain text. But I have
several related business threads at the moment and, unfortunately the 'ladies'
sending the emails like colors and graphics.  ;-)

> I wonder how many people actually use the extra formatting for anything
> actually useful.  Typically in corporate email none of the extra crap is
> used for anything actually useful or often at all so is kind of
> pointless to even have, often when it is used it actually ends up doing
> something stupid (too small/large of a font, or setting foreground
> without setting the background or just the opposite), most of which
> actually make the message harder to get.
>

>> You mentioned Yahoo and Thunderbird. There is (was) a TB extension
>> that would pop yahoo mail without paying the 'bucks' for the pop service.
>
> I have the Yahoo extension, it appears to work reasonably well.
>
>                           Roger

Good. There is always a solution to a problem. Usually the major problem is
finding the solution.

Have a good evening.
--

   David