New Kernel

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 7 07:27:47 UTC 2008

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> g wrote:
>> Ed Warner wrote:
>>> Is there a way to run a new kernel other than restart the machine?
>>
>> years back, there was a 'coldboot', 'reboot' and 'warmboot'.
>
> I think the PCs version of WARM BOOT was the 3 fingered salute....

3fs has caused a lot of pc users to learn a new way.

as with most all pc users, they have been mislead from day of pc.

even more so when bg wrote ibm os and later tandy.

'warmboot', as i learned it and already mentioned, a jump to
memory address '0000' and restart an already loaded program.

with in first few bits will/may be a jump to 'main program'.
in 'main program' a bit/byte will be tested to see if/what
is to be.

ie, a 'load status byte', even a block, is tested. if first
test is 'set', system is initialized, test what ever else,
check for loaded/running programs.

if 'load status' false, run inits and other setups, auto runs,
check to see who wants in.

all from already loaded to memory.

if read from floppy, cd, rom memory, hard disk, memory stick,
and data contains no 'previous/recent' data, ie, 'wake up' from
swap area, has to init/setup, it is 'coldboot' as in power on.

'wake up' from swap is a 'reload to memory'.

> Ah yes, the RESET button....

depends. 'pc' yes. in s100, i rewrote my boot rom to test load status
and offer warm, re-init, cold reload. too much trouble with 'pc'.

> Actually, there was some "bad" hardware produced back in the early days.

'peanut' was on of best with bad. sorry ibm, but it was shoddy made.

> I once had a video controller that when it hung, it had to have a
> power-on-reset to clear it up.

could not see 'reset' on buss. many reason as to why, ie 'winvga'.

> I used to work on Prime Computers.  When a process hung the whole
<snip>
> RST and BOOT 14114 to restart everything from scratch.

high level, frame level system thinking. designed to 'never crash'.

such is easy done with multi cpu, even more so with multi core,
and why zen should go far.

--

tc,hago.

.