Switching virtual terminals

Jim Dever jdever at triad.rr.com
Sat Jun 7 07:29:12 UTC 2008

g wrote:

> Jim Dever wrote:
>> Tim wrote:
>
> you are saying 'from an x session', then 'from a text console' and
> 'same tty'.
>
> so, 'from an x session to a text console, aka, virtual console,
> staying in same tty, aka, same virtual console'.
>
> correct?

Let me try and explain better.  From X:  Alt-CTRL-F1 takes me to a
virtual console (tty1).  From X:  Alt-CTRL-F2 takes me to a virtual
console (tty2).  But once I'm at a text, virtual console Alt-F1 or
Alt-F2 or Alt-F3....  don't do anything.  I remain at the terminal where
I came out of X.  And I can't get back into X either.  I'm stumped.

>>> I am back on Fedora 9, now, and both ALT+Fn and CTRL+ALT+Fn are working
>>> for me, so the problem is probably specific to your setup.
>
> for me with f8, saa.
>
>> It's definitely a straight plain vanilla installation.
>
> as in what type keyboard? 102 -> 110 key? special music / power, etc?
> din, pc, usb port?

Machine is about a 7 year old Dell with a 110 key PC keyboard.  It's not
USB or wireless or anything like that.

--
Jim