Switching virtual terminals

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 7 07:54:42 UTC 2008

Jim Dever wrote:
> g wrote:
>>

>> Jim Dever wrote:
>>
>> you are saying 'from an x session', then 'from a text console' and
>> 'same tty'.
>>
>> so, 'from an x session to a text console, aka, virtual console,
>> staying in same tty, aka, same virtual console'.
>>
>> correct?
>
> Let me try and explain better.  From X:  Alt-CTRL-F1 takes me to a

just wanted to be sure that we were/are agreed on 'lingo'. lshih.

if you boot level 3, can you change vc terms? if yes,
'x' or something else is crapping on your vc driver.

if not, quick checks:
  boot diff kernel and/or live cd/dvd and/or swap keyboard = wtfiw.

> Machine is about a 7 year old Dell with a 110 key PC keyboard.

if dual memory stick, swap for faulty.

good luck.

hth.
___

night has been long, dawn will be too early.
pulling plugs, crashing shortly...

--

tc,hago.

.